Overnight bircher muesli with roasted blood plums
I created this delish breakfast recipe as part of my collaboration with Divine Fruits . Everyone in our house loves roasted stone fruit and these Kaso plums are absolutely amazing when baked (think sweet, gooey and irresistible).
The overnight bircher is packed full of fibre, protein and iron rich sunflower, sesame, chia and flaxseeds. Although bircher muesli is traditionally made with oats I decided to keep this recipe oat-free so it's gluten free.
The best part about this dish is that you can make it on the weekend and then you have breakfast sorted for the next few days. Yay!
To learn more about Kaso plums and the growers’ stories head to the Divine Fruits website here or check out Divine Fruits on Instagram and Facebook.
1½ Tbsp flaxseeds
¼ cup sunflower seeds
¼ cup sesame seeds
¼ cup chia seeds
¼ cup preservative free shredded coconut
1 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla powder
1¾ cup coconut milk (or other plant-based milk)
¼ cup coconut yoghurt
1 tsp orange zest
2 tsp natural sweetener such as pure maple syrup, honey or rice malt syrup
Ground cinnamon to serve (optional)
7 Kaso blood plums
1 Tbsp natural sweetener such as pure maple syrup, honey or rice malt syrup
1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees celcius.
2. Wash the plums, cut them in half and remove the stone using a teaspoon.
3. Line a baking dish with baking paper and place the plums cut side facing up. Drizzle with sweetener of choice and roast for 30-40 minutes or until soft. Once the plums are cooked, allow them to cool before storing them in a sealed container in the fridge until you are ready to serve.
4. To make the bircher muesli, add all dry ingredients to a bowl and mix to combine. Add the milk, yoghurt, orange zest and sweetener and mix to combine. Store in a sealed container in the fridge overnight. Soaking the seeds overnight in the liquid makes them softer and easier to digest.
5. When ready to serve simply divide up the bircher musesli (you can add a little more milk to the mixture if the consistency is to thick) and then top with the delicious roasted plums. Sprinkle a little cinnamon on top if you like. If you have any leftover roasted plums you can keep them stored in the fridge.