Orange, rocket, avocado and fennel salad with dill dressing
Beautiful sweet and juicy Australian oranges are the hero of this salad. I love this time of year when cara cara, navel and blood oranges are all in season and in plentiful supply at my local farmers markets. I have teamed them up here with some peppery rocket, finely shaved fennel, creamy slices of avocado and a simple dill dressing to create this delicious salad. A little vegan feta makes it that extra bit special but you can omit if you prefer.
2 handfuls of rocket, washed
1 cara cara orange
2 navel oranges
1 blood orange
1 bulb of fennel
1 large avocado
120g vegan feta (I love Botanical Cuisine's macadamia feta)
Small handful of mint leaves and snow pea sprouts to garnish (Optional)
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp very finely chopped dill
The juice of one orange
1/2 tsp pure maple syrup
Sea salt and pepper, to taste
1. To slice each orange, leave the skin on, turn the orange onto its side and slice into 2 cm round slices. Then carefully cut the peel off and discard it.
2. Finely shave the bulb of the fennel using a mandolin or a sharp knife.
3. To make the dressing, add all dressing ingredients to a small bowl and mix well to combine.
4. Finely slice the avocado.
5. To arrange the salad start by spreading the rocket over the base of your serving plate/bowl. Carefully arrange the sliced fennel, orange slices and avocado and vegan feta on top. Pour the dressing over the top and garnish with fresh mint and snow pea sprouts (if using).